CCB Sting Surprises Uncertified Locksmiths and Unlicensed Contractors

From CCB Press Release

On January 19 and 20, 2011, uncertified locksmiths and unlicensed contractors in the Happy Valley area had a surprise waiting for them.

The Construction Contractors Board (CCB) conducted a sting operation designed to curb uncertified locksmith and unlicensed contractor activity in the area. The Portland ABC affiliate KATU participated and filmed the action. The CCB partnered with a member of the Pacific Locksmith Association to locate a sting house.

At the end of the two-day sting, CCB issued 8 individuals a total of 9 proposed field orders; 3 for unlicensed construction activity and 6 for uncertified locksmith activity.  Field Investigators forwarded additional reports to CCB’s Enforcement section for further investigation and possible action.

“Illegal activity doesn’t just hurt the consumer,” says Robert Rambo, Manager of CCB’s Field Investigations. “It hurts the legitimate contractors that work hard to stay in compliance only to get undercut by those who don’t. The CCB is committed to finding and penalizing those working illegally.”

Though licensing of construction contractors have been part of Oregon law since the 1970’s, laws requiring locksmith certification and licensing became effective July 1, 2010. Locksmiths in Oregon are required to be certified and the business licensed by the CCB unless exempted by law.

Prior to the sting, the CCB obtained leads from advertisements, Craig’s list, public bulletin boards, and other unnamed sources.

The CCB has stepped up enforcement efforts throughout the state with more stings planned as well as job-site checks happening at any given time on any day of the week.

Contractors and consumers can report illegal activity on the CCB website or by calling the agency at 503-378-4621.

The CCB strongly encourages consumers to verify a contractor is actively licensed. Consumers can easily check the license and complaint history at or by calling 503-378-4621.

Licensed contractors have a bond and insurance which offer some financial protections if something were to go wrong. Homeowners can get help resolving construction-related disputes within a year from the time the work was substantially completed or the work stopped. These protections are only available if the contractor is licensed with the CCB.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s