Housing for boomers will be a growth industry in the next 20 years, says Matt Thornhill, co-author of the book “Boomer Consumer: Ten New Rules for Marketing to America’s Largest, Wealthiest and Most Influential Group.”
Thornhill predicts the following within the next couple of decades:
- Boomers will renovate their existing homes to make them more comfortable and safer as they age.
- Boomers will turn neighborhoods that have good access to shopping and other services into retirement areas with cohousing
and other kinds of intergenerational living.
- Pods — one-bedroom structures wired and plumbed to the main house — will be a popular answer for families with older members.
- Boomers will prefer city to suburban living.
- Fewer new structures will be built with services for older adults housed in schools and churches.
For more information check out the Boomer Consumer Blog.